Are you one of the many travelsavers who are always wanting to know how to save $$$ when you travel? Everyone loves a bargain flight, accommodation or a cruise and money saving tips.
Is this how your travel planning starts?
We have now been travelling since 2013 and we would like to share with you how we save $$$ on our travel:
- Which websites we use to source the cheapest airfare
- Which hotel websites we use to the source the cheapest accommodation
- A special discount voucher for you when you book your first Airbnb property
- Which Car Rental Companies that we use to compare the best deals and to book
- What Travel App we use for travel budgeting whilst on the road
- Eurail Passes
- Local Tours
- Travel Insurance
There is so much information out there and so many airfare sites where do you start?
- 1 Cheap Flights
- 2 Hotels
- 3 Car Rentals
- 4 Travel App for Travel Budget
- 5 Eurail Pass – Train Travel around Europe
- 6 Tripadvisor
- 7 Local Tours
- 8 Travel Insurance
- 9 To Travel Too E-Books
- 10 Our Dubrovnik Travel Guide
- 11 Our Mexico Travel Guide
- 12 Our To Travel Too Travel Shop
We always start our search with Google Flights for the latest deals on cheap flights.
Google Flights – our starting point, great for month views to search the cheapest day to fly. With fares from major carriers such as United Airlines to budget carriers such as Spirit Airlines.
Skyscanner – a great source for cheap airline tickets plus you can look at from your airport to everywhere:
If you are based in the USA or Canada click here
If you are based in the UK or Europe click here
If you are based in Australia, New Zealand or Asia click here
For the latest cheapest airline deals we also check out CheapOair. Click here for their latest deals.
Specific Airlines – it is also advisable to check the airline’s website that you are considering using and check their current airfares. Airlines run regular travel deals.
How do you compare airfares?
- Look at the return airfare first
- Compare prices on a one-way basis
- Look at airline specific hubs
- Check several airports in the area you are travelling to
- Check out budget carriers such as Spirit Airlines in the USA and Air Asia throughout Asia. Ensure that you understand their baggage policy and what is included in the base airfare.
- Hotels Combined is our ‘go to’ website. They source over 100 accommodation websites for the latest deals on all types of accommodation. The website is user-friendly, we love how it compares so many sites for us to make an informed decision.
- Booking.Com – not only is it an easy to use website with great prices they have a Genius program. If you book regularly with them you can receive further discounts on certain properties saving around a further 10%.
- Agoda.Com – our favourite accommodation booking engine for Asia in particular, but they have properties worldwide
- Hotels.Com – another favourite accommodation site, check them regularly for their hotel specials with up to 40%
Our Special $$ off Voucher for your first booking with Airbnb
If you have not booked an Airbnb property before here is your voucher to save your $$ off your first booking.
- AutoEurope.com – we always compare 2 car rental companies quotes
- Rentalcars.com – look at different currencies and using an off-airport location for cheaper prices
Travel App for Travel Budget
- To keep our travel budget in check we use Trail Wallet. Set your daily budget and off you travel.
Eurail Pass – Train Travel around Europe
You may want to consider purchasing a Eurail Pass for your travels around Europe.
To Travel Too Tip – Money Saving Tip
If you are travelling in Italy check out the regional train fares.
We use Tripadvisor daily to check out reviews on hotels, find the best restaurants as well as reviews on tours – it is our go-to resource.
If you want to check out the best restaurants in a city you are visiting we always use Tripadvisor e.g.
for the top restaurants in Sydney click our link below:
For example, if you are checking for the best value hotels in London: Click here
We are very happy using Get Your Guide in activities in cities that we visit. We love their ‘best price guarantee’ which means if we find the same activity by the same local tour operator in the same currency for less they will refund the difference. Currently they offer over 35,000 activities in over 7,600 locations.
Click here for more details.
Some examples of tours in Paris:
The best time to arrange your travel insurance is once you start paying deposits on accommodation, cruises, tours or purchasing your flights. You are covered for cancellation from that date. It is not advisable to leave it till the day before you travel.
If you are based in Australia click here for travel insurance deals.
If you are based outside of Australia click here for travel insurance deals.
Have a safe trip!
To Travel Too E-Books
We have been travelling the world since 2013 and have created our Mini Travel E-Books. Check them out.
If you like our post why not PIN it for later?
For the latest travel guides and travel gear check out our travel shop. We have put together over 250 travel products that we have either used ourselves or we have been recommended by other travellers.
www.totraveltoo.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS.